To help standardize the connectionstrings across your team’s development machines. You can all use the same sql alias, database name, username and password. The last three are easily configurable however the sql alias isn’t so obvious. Here’s a simple set of instructions to get it working.
My environment at time of this post is Windows 8.1, SQL Server 2014 Express.
- First you must find the port your server is using through tcp/ip.
- Open SQL Server Network Configuration
- Click on the server in question
- in the right hand pane, right click TCP/IP and select Properties
- Hit the IP Addresses tab and scroll all the way to the bottom
- The TCP Dynamic Ports is the port you need to use in the next section.
- Open up Sql Server Configuration Manager
- Expand SQL Native Client. Choose 32-bit or 64-bit depending on your setup
- Expend Aliases and create a new entry
- The port must match the port you found above